Just over a week ago everyone’s favourite Xorg replacement, Weston, gained a frame buffer backend I put together as part of some university work. It was remarkably easy to write, since almost all of the code already existed in the DRM and RPI backends; I just needed to hook pixman up to /dev/fb0 and everything worked!
Weston’s code base was a pleasure to work on. Hopefully someone stuck on a frame buffer somewhere finds this work useful. Since I did this work, I also got the frame buffer backend working on FreeBSD (as part of the same university project), but haven’t had time to update, tidy up and submit my patches yet. They’re pretty hacky in (many) places.
Without further ado, a gratuitous flowery screenshot (taken using fbcat):